I am currently Head of Digital Marketing at Scottish Life. I have been with the company for nearly 5 years. I am responsible for our brand and customer experience in the digital environment as well as our digital marketing activity. I am also a core contributor to the company’s digital strategy and liaise directly with the board on a regular basis.
I have a rare mix of business, marketing and IT skills and have spent more than 12 years in ecommerce and digital marketing roles in financial services and other industries. I have designed and managed a range of digital solutions, from the first online ISA application while at Scottish Life, global recruitment tools for IBM while at Intronet and digital communication strategies for AEGON and Scottish Life.
As my career has progressed I have moved into more senior roles that encompass strategy creation and delivery, budget management, system selection, customer and supplier relationship management and team management & development.
As a good communicator I am able to explain technical things simply in a way that people understand without being patronising. I have also started to speak at industry conferences on topics such as customer experience and social media.
I proactively maintain a detailed understanding of the developments in the latest web technology (such as video, mobile and social media) and keep my knowledge current in a wide number of web-related subject areas including digital marketing, customer experience, systems, information architecture, web standards and relevant legislative requirements.
- Strategy development and delivery
- Project management & business analysis
- Supplier and customer relationship management
- Team management and development
- Budget management and business planning
- Senior management/board relationship management.
- Digital strategy/channel management
- Customer experience management
- Digital communications (web, email, social media and video)
- Usability, accessibility & user centred design
- MI production and analysis
- Brand management.
Head of Digital Marketing
Scottish Life: December 2010 – present
As part of a corporate restructure, I now also have a core responsibility to help to define and deliver the organisation’s digital strategy, with a focus on customer experience. Liaising directly with the board, my role is to “put digital at the heart of the business”.
Additional responsibilities to my existing role include:
- Design and deliver our corporate digital strategy to provide long-term benefit.
- Ensure we’ve got the right systems, standards, partners and structure in place.
- Manage the development of our online services and website for each of our core audiences.
- Provide consultation to our IT team on user-centered design and standards.
Head of Digital Operations, Marketing
Scottish Life: February 2008 – December 2010
In February 2008 I was promoted to Head of Digital Operations. This was a senior management role that combined all marketing’s digital responsibilities into 1 team.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Business relationship management with key customers, suppliers and industry bodies.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legislation.
- Development and management of online services and 3rd party integrations from a business perspective.
- Ownership of digital brand, accessibility and usability standards for company online services and websites.
- Leading and developing the expanded digital team.
- Production of ecommerce statistics and management information.
- Management of digital development budget for marketing.
Online Marketing Manager, Marketing
Scottish Life: October 2006 – February 2008
Scottish Life is part of the Royal London the UK’s largest mutual life and pensions company. I was responsible for the management and delivery of the company’s website and online customer experience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Development and management of corporate websites, email and related tools.
- Ownership of digital brand, accessibility and usability standards.
- Production of digital marketing statistics and management information.
- Ownership of digital marketing budget.
Web and Email Marketing Manager
Scottish Equitable: April 2005 – October 2006
Scottish Equitable is part of the AEGON Group, one of the world’s largest financial companies. I was responsible for the management and delivery of the company’s suite of corporate websites, related online services and corporate email solution.
Key responsibilities included:
- Development and management of corporate websites, intranet and related tools.
- Design of online services applications and related tools.
- Brand, accessibility and usability consultancy for IT department.
- Leading and developing our multi-skilled web and email marketing team.
- Ownership and development of online corporate brand.
- Delivery & interpretation of e-communications statistics and management information.
- Supplier sourcing and management.
Senior Web Development Consultant, Scottish Equitable April 2003 – April 2005
My core responsibilities included the design and upkeep of the company’s websites and intranet.
Key tasks included:
- Design, creation and upkeep of corporate websites, intranet and related activities.
- Creation and management of revised online corporate brand.
- Information Architecture of online policy services.
- Accessibility and usability consultancy for other companies within the Aegon Group.
- Creation and maintenance of corporate web design and technical standards.
Marketing & Design – IntroNet Applications Limited – Aug 2001 – April 2003
I joined IAL in August 2001 as I was made redundant from my previous position. IAL is an Edinburgh based company specialising in the provision of internet-based recruitment services for a number of global companies including IBM, Logica and Philip Morris International. My role in the company was within the Marketing and Design team. Key tasks included:
- Design, creation and upkeep of corporate website & intranet.
- Creating and implementing the company’s marketing strategy.
- Information Architecture for the IntroNet recruitment system – this included a complete redesign of the user interface.
- Design and copywriting for corporate marketing materials, both on and offline.
- Design and production of help & training materials, including manuals and an online system.
New Media Coordinator, Voxar Limited – Feb 2001 to July 2001
A small start-up medical imaging software house/technology company. Responsible for the day-to-day running of the company website and related new media activities. Unfortunately the post was made redundant due to financial difficulties at the company. Key tasks included –
- Design and maintenance of the corporate website.
- Designing Flash animations for website and CD-Rom use.
- Design and upkeep of the Marketing and Sales Intranet.
- Running email-marketing campaigns.
- Providing and analysing detailed website and e-marketing statistics.
Assistant Website Manager – Scottish Widows plc – Jan 1999 – Feb 2001
One of the UK’s biggest insurance companies. A founding member of Marketing ECommerce team, I was responsible for design and upkeep of Scottish Widows’ suite of websites and related activities. Key projects/tasks included:
- Day to day management of Scottish Widows’ suite of websites.
- Site structure, usability, copywriting and graphical interpretation/creation.
- Design for online application processes.
- Supplier/customer liaison, support and representation.
- Running the website management team.